Chromebook touch screen
The Touchscreen (or ‘Touchpad’) is a hardware that allows you to control the cursor with your fingers; this also allows users to click on links and buttons, scroll up and down pages by sliding two fingers horizontally.
Why do we need to turn off the touch screen?
You would like to make sure that the touch screen on your Chromebook is turned off while you are using a traditional mouse and keyboard.
Is it necessary to turn the touchpad off?
If your touchpad isn’t working, it might cause some problems while typing or clicking buttons. So, to fix this problem, disable the touchpad. It will help you to resolve different issues regarding the touchpad.
How to turn off the touch screen on Chromebook?
Follow these steps:
Open Settings from your application launcher (taskbar) or Chrome Browser by pressing [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [-] keys together simultaneously.
In settings, look for the Device option at the left-hand side of the window, click on it. The new menu will appear with two sub-options, select Mouse & touchpad option.
A new window with two sub-options will open, look for the Touchpad section and click on the checkbox to enable or disable your touchpad.
You can also use shortcut keys [Ctrl]+ [Alt]+ [-] together simultaneously to open the settings page from the chrome browser itself. It will help you to resolve different issues regarding turning off a touchscreen.
- Open Chrome Browser and press.
- Now type ‘chrome: //settings’ in the address bar and press Enter key.
- After that, click on the Show advanced settings. Option present at the left-hand side of the window.
- Then you have to expand the ‘System’ menu by clicking on the small triangle (present at the extreme left-hand side of the window)
- After that, choose ‘Input devices’ present under the System menu under the category ‘Touchpad.’
- Then you can see all related options for the touchpad, one by one disable them.
- Lastly, use shortcut keys [Alt] + [-] together simultaneously to close the settings menu (Present at the right-hand bottom of the window).
I hope now your problem will be solved regarding where you can turn off a touchscreen.
How to shut off the touchscreen on a school Chromebook?
So, if you have a school Chromebook with a touch screen, you may want to turn it off. There are two methods to do this.
The first way is the manual way, where you press one key combination by following the steps below:
- Press ctrl+F5. This will make the ‘Find’ highlight in black.
- Press alt+ \ (the backslash key above entering). This will open a dialogue box for turning off, or editing Find settings.
- If there is no text selected in the find bar, press enters if there is a selection, then leave it be at type send when done, press ctrl+w to close the dialogue box.
This method must have been tested on every version of the Chromebook. The second way is much easier, and it does not require you to press multiple keys. To do this, follow these steps:
- Press alt+F2 (note: this will open a dialogue box for editing settings, there’s no need to click anything in here).
- Type chrome://settings in the dialogue box and hit enter. This will open your Chrome OS settings menu, where you can search for “touch” and change it accordingly.
Now go and enjoy using your touch-free Chromebook!
How to activate touch screen on your Chromebook?
You will be able to activate the touch screen on Chromebook with no problem. Now how do you turn on the touch screen is the real question here. So, here are some steps for activating touchscreen on Chromebooks.
- Click at the top right of your chrome browser (Where your username is shown). Then click the settings option in the drop-down menu.
- Now scroll down until you see the “Show advanced settings” link. Click that link and then scroll down further. See screenshots below.
- You will see many options here but select “Enable touch events.” Selecting this option will enable all touch features of the chrome book, including tap, swipe, pinch, etc. You can also checkbox saying “Enable experimental touch features” if you want to take full advantage of the touch screen in Chromebook.
- This is how the settings page will look like (On click the above link). Now click on the blue text that says “Save changes.”
That’s it! Your Chromebook should be able to recognize your touchscreen feature now. If you can still get the touchscreen working, there might be some hardware problem with your Chromebook. Some other users have reported similar issues, which were hardware issues after all (Touch Screen not Working, Screen Broken or Damaged, etc.). Ensure your device is completely updated for best results, and the latest chrome version is installed on your computer. If nothing works, contact the manufacturer’s help desk directly.
The above method should work with all Chromebooks like Acer c720, dell Chromebook 11, HP 11, etc. If you are still unable to activate the touch screen on your Chromebook, it is probably a hardware issue, and there is nothing much you can do about it except go for replacement.
Extra tips about using the touchpad:
While using the touchpad on Chromebooks, you have to keep in mind that scrolling with two fingers means moving up and down only. Scrolling with three fingers means moving left or right. You can use the third finger to add more speed while scrolling on your touchpad.
- If you want to delete some text from the input box, you have to click on the input box using one finger, scroll down with two fingers, and press [Ctrl] + [-] together simultaneously.
- You can also use shortcut keys [Ctrl]+ [-] together simultaneously while typing in an input box if you want some space between words.
- To select the typed text, you must press [Ctrl] + A simultaneously anywhere inside the text area.
- To copy selected text, press [Ctrl] + C together simultaneously.
So hope this article was helpful for How to turn off and on the touch screen on Chromebook.